Thursday, December 4, 2008

Fishin 08

This is the first in an 11-post series of stuff and junk about 2008 that predates the advent of this blog. I am posting this information for all our devoted readers of "Deadwood" The Original Solstice Publication. That's right, the Deadwood is dead. Kaput! Over the past 23 years, the Deadwood has been affectionately named the Columbia Collutorium, Missouri Megalomania, The Missouri multum in parvo, The Missouri Mnemosyne, The Missouri Mithridate, The Missouri Mistryst, The Pennsylvania Paradiddle, The Pennsylvania Peripeteia, The Waverly Wodge, Wampish in Waverly, Wassailings from Waverly, Waltzing in Waverly, Wasselings from Waverly, Post-Wasselings from Waverly, Wailings from Waverly, Greetings from Deadwood and Merry Christmas. Yeah, the first two were titled Merry Christmas. Through all those name changes, two things have remained the same: it was delivered to bazillions of doorsteps free of charge, and the reporting was not restricted by the boundaries of facts. We are replacing the printed publication with this blog to free some trees for other senselessly devastating calamities, and so I don't have to lick all those durn envelopes. Please rest assured that the authors retain minimal commitment to the facts of our lives.

Like every year, we fished some, and sometimes we didn't fish. The latter is when work interrupted life. Pat skipped the trip, but Claire and I spent most of a week at the cabin on Stalker Lake with my brother, and my parents Fritz and Wanda. There, with my brother's deft guidance, we fished, and most importantly, we caught! A lot! My brother is a master angler, and he knows Stalker Lake like dogs know sniffing. It was a fabulous week of fishing and catching, lugging in monster northern pike, lunker walleye, ginormous largemouth bass, and baskets of panfish.

Here's a picture of Claire's first northern pike of the trip just before she released it.


Here's a picture of a northern pike I caught. Much thanks to my brother for help landing that man-eater. My, there sure is something about fishing that takes years off of my life.



Claire and I ready for canoeing around Stalker Lake. Claire took a two hour nap, resting her arms which were weary from hauling in fish, while I enjoyed the sun, lake and an invigorating afternoon of paddling.



No comments :

Post a Comment