Thursday, June 4, 2009

Road to Bavaria

We spent a day racing from Belgium to the Bavaria region of southern Germany. I found the Autobahn network to be episodic. We cruised along at about 130 kilometers per hour (about 80 mph), and expensive sports cars would sling shot past us like we were standing still. Oh, why did I rent a little Lancia Musa with a 1.4 liter engine?

We stopped for lunch in a quaint little town with an appropriately quaint little restaurant.

There we gorged on mountains of German food. It reminded us of Sunday dinners when we were growing up. Of course, that doesn't explain why Claire left Pat's sunglasses at this restaurant.




Claire makes friends with the best baker in every town. Here, Claire and the local artisan have a good laugh as they try to teach me how to communicate numerically. When I hold up an index finger, it means I want two. If I wanted only one, I should have held up a thumb. Go figure.

For dinner, we stopped in Linderburg or maybe it was Lindersberg. Whatever. We made it to Bavaria, and we were traveling the infamous Romantic Highway. Life is good. Claire and Pat declared the town cute. That adjective got plenty of use during this trip.

1 comment :